Student Firefighter Program
Please visit the Central Oregon Community College (COCC) website to find out more about their programs and the Central Oregon Joint Scholarship Recruitment Testing process.
Recruitment Process - Closed. Please review the COCC Joint Recruitment Process website for dates and further information.
The Student Firefighter program is very important to Redmond Fire & Rescue. Students are assigned to work side by side with career personnel while attending classes at Central Oregon Community College. The student program is a three-year dual degree program with the student completing the requirements to earn Associate of Arts (AAS) degrees in Structural Fire Science and EMS upon completion. Students earn a $1,500 per term scholarship through a testing process. The scholarship is paid directly to the college to be used toward your tuition and books. The Joint Recruitment Process is offered each year in March, April, or May with the appointment beginning July 1st. Redmond Fire & Rescue does not currently offer a resident program.
Recruitment & Selection
Selection is made through participation in the Central Oregon Joint Scholarship Recruitment Testing process. Selection and scholarship awards will be made by the fire agencies as a collaborative effort. Redmond Fire & Rescue will hold a selection interview process after receiving a list of eligible candidates from the Joint Recruitment Testing Process. Completion of a second Physical Ability Test (CPAT) may be required. For more information about the COCC program and the Central Oregon Joint Scholarship Recruitment Testing process, including the application, please visit their website, COCC AAS in Structural Fire Science.
- Age: Minimum of 18 at time of appointment.
- Physical Condition: Must possess and maintain the ability, endurance, and strength necessary to perform the duties of a firefighter.
- Character: Must be of good character. A background check will be conducted on all candidates prior to appointment.
- Oregon Driver's License: Must possess a valid Oregon driver’s license and be insurable by the Fire District insurance carrier.
- Drug Screen: Must pass a drug screening at the time of appointment or any time after.
For more information about the COCC program and the Central Oregon Joint Scholarship Recruitment Testing process please review the COCC Joint Recruitment Process website or email Redmond Fire & Rescue.